Monday, June 6, 2011

Dr. Fischer Takes Fitness Frankie On a Zip Line!


Dear Readers:

I had the distinct pleasure of taking Fitness Frankie to Netherwood Elementary School on Friday, May 27th. Ms. Quilty invited me to join some 5th grade students to ride the zip line. I am not sure if Fitness Frankie has ever been on a zip line, but I thought he would enjoy the adventure. I introduced him to all the students who were sitting in the field waiting to see the Superintendent ride the zip line. I slipped him on my wrist and he accompanied me up the 30 foot pole, and down the zip line. It was an incredible experience. Riding the zip line is an adventure activity that builds skills such as trust, communication, leadership, group thinking, and open mindedness. Riding the zip line also requires a healthy dose of courage, and Fitness Frankie helped me with my courage. Ms. Quilty is an outstanding zip line coach, and she helped me to be brave. Physical education is a critical component of our educational program, and I was happy to support our physical education department by riding the zip line!

Sincerely,

Dr. Fischer